CompetencyWorks is hosting a Leadership webinar on advancing competency education in New England on Wednesday, January 11 from 2:00-3:00 p.m. ET. Learn more and register.
New York City’s Mastery Collaborative is hosting upcoming Living Lab online sessions. Register here.
- Wednesday, January 4, 4:00 p.m. ET: KAPPA International High School—Messaging Mastery with Language and Visuals
- Thursday, January 5, 4:00 p.m. ET: Harvest Collegiate High School—Building a School-Wide Philosophy of Mastery
- The National Center for Innovation in Education released a new report, Leadership for Learning: What is Leadership’s Role in Supporting Success for Every Student? iNACOL CEO Susan Patrick provided commentary on this report in this blog.
- The Center for American Progress released a new report, Innovation in Accountability: Designing Systems to Support School Quality and Student Success.
- The National Association of State Boards of Education released a new policy update, The Impact of the 2016 Elections on State Boards of Education.
- The National Center for Innovation in Education released a new report, Low-Stakes Completion-Based Funding: A New Approach to Financing Competency-Based Education. See iNACOL’s blog highlighting this report.
- This podcast by Cortney Belolan and Matt Shea discusses the “what” and “why” of competency education, and the “how” of implementation.
- Getting Smart released a podcast featuring students from the iNACOL Symposium’s student panel, sharing their thoughts on transforming K-12 education.
- This Hechinger Report op/ed by Kim Carter explores Making Community Connections Charter School’s (MC2) commitment to personalized learning.
- Waukesha STEM Academy principal James Murray discusses proficiency-based pathways, readiness, and grading in his school.
- Vermont’s Burlington High School is shifting away from letter grades and developing a proficiency-based diploma for current freshmen (expected to graduate in 2020).
- York High School is transitioning to a proficiency-based diploma by 2021, and this article shows how the school is rethinking teaching and learning, teacher evaluations, IEPs and more.
- The Bridger alternative program at Bozeman High School became one of Montana’s first charter school programs and is competency-based.
- Michigan’s Kenowa Hills Public Schools is advancing competency education and empowering student learning by embarking on a mission to be the most innovative, student-centered district in the state.
- The Tennessee Department of Education created the Personalized Learning Task Force, and released a report including recommendations to use competency-based education as a strategy to tailor learning.
- KnowledgeWorks released a memo advising the new administration on scaling personalized learning.
- New Hampshire Governor-elect Chris Sununu will make key education appointments in his first months in office, which could impact the advancement of competency education within the state.
- Colorado’s Westminster Public Schools received a low performance rating from the Colorado Department of Education, despite a request for reconsideration from the schools, and could face sanctions under the state’s accountability system.
- In this EdSurge article, Sal Khan explores the intersection of competency-based learning, technology, teaching and learning.
- This letter to the editor is in response to proficiency-based implementation issues in Maine’s RSU24.